Saturday, January 28, 2012

Between2 - Moving on


Dad has been with brother Jeff for the past two weeks.

I lost myself this past few weeks going through mom’s stuff. I hated the process of trying to decide what to do with her things. Every time I would think of getting rid of something I would hear her voice in my head telling me not to ‘just throw things away’ when she was gone. They were worth something. Well, they are not worth anything unless someone wants them.

I finally gave her doll collection to a woman for free, just to have them go to someone that would appreciate them like mom had. Her records went for resale. Some short legged, stout lady will find a very nice selection of clothes at the local Salvation Army, and some children will enjoy the collection of giraffes I gave to the local nursery school. It has taken me since April to go through it all, but I now think I am past the major part of it.
Paper was always mom’s passion. Paper boxes full of greeting cards went to Snowcap for children to cut up and make other greetings and pictures for their parents. I actually sold some old programs to 60’s events online to nostalgic folks.

The assembly of Cracker Jack toys went to my brother along with the antique lamps and vases to his wife.

When dad and I went through the Christmas decoration we ended up giving eight paper boxes of decorations to the Salvation Army. He didn’t want to keep the gold angel, Santa or tree skirt. He liked my greens and reds more. I also found her stash of candles during Christmas and a box big enough to light downtown Gresham during a power outage went to the Goodwill.

So with dad contentedly off with Jeff, I took the opportunity to get away from the things nagging me at home and go up to the lodge in Stevenson. I hadn’t managed that in over a year. I needed to find my smile again. I lost it somewhere over this past ten months.

All my old friends were still there. Andrea’ had moved from managing the lodge for Angus to owning her own shop - a’ Boutique. I started spreading around my tourist money at her shop. Bought a lovely cuff bracelet in memory of mom – it has lily of the valley flowers on it and says ‘honor, humility and hope’ inside. Hope – that’s my motto. Found a handmade resin and feather barrette for Sarah. She house sat for me and fed Jewel – the cat.

Next stop was Bloomsbury’s to see Bonny - bought some small things there, cards, candles.

Lunch was terrific as usual at the Big River Bar and Grill. Joe’s place is always cozy and warm. (I stopped by there the next night for dinner so I wouldn’t miss his Crème’ Buele. It is a must at least once a trip.)

The last stop was at Duck Soup to see Rita. She got the majority of the tourist money. She had hats at 50% off. I have never met a hat I didn’t like, so I walked out with four. A sporty ‘news boy’ in grey with black appliquéd roses – very jaunty, a grey homburg with the brim down over one eye, a red wool pillbox with a graphic black cord design on one side, and finally, a deep purple bowl type hat with decorative stitching and a black rose on the brim. As I said, I LOVE hats!

Lauren was there to welcome me to the lodge. My room was as I left it, but with the addition of onsite wifi – nice new amenity.

Angus, the lodge owner and a dear friend, came home this morning from his ski trip to Colorado. I am afraid I greeted him with, ‘sorry I didn’t make it up this past summer – mom died in April, dad had gallbladder surgery in July and I had to have the cat put to sleep in August.’ I didn’t know until that fell out of my mouth that my life sounded a lot like a bad country music song title.

Hopefully, 2012 will be a better year for this Snyder.

No comments:

Post a Comment