Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Between2 - 9 Lives


The surgery went well, but the aftermath was difficult. Dad spent an extra two days in the hospital trying to get the pain level under control. He is allergic to so many painkillers.

He really needed to have his gallbladder out. The surgeon said it was full of little black stones – the kind a person’s body wants to sluff off. There would have been further emergency episodes.

I told dad that between him and mom they are fast using up my 9 lives.

Mom’s fall where she hit her head on the porch step – end of my 1st life.

Mom’s fall where she hit her head on the antique rocker that required six staples in her head, and brought a tea party to an abrupt end – end of my 2nd life.

Dad’s flu episode where I found him prostrate on the floor of the bathroom at 2:00 in the morning, thinking he had another heart attack – end of my 3rd life.

Dad’s bout with shingles that appeared to be another heart attack – end of my 4th life.

They were beginning to pile up, and not in my favor.

Then there was the latest ‘dad episode.’ That leaves only 4. I told dad I needed some for my old age, he was going to have to stop doing this.

1 comment:

  1. I think you were living out THEIR 9 lives; otherwise, you need to get some IOUs!

    ReplyDelete