Saturday, November 5, 2011

Between2 - Gallstones and Porches


Where do I begin? So much has happened since my last entry.

I suppose the most important information is that dad didn’t have a heart attack. He passed a gallstone. Who would have known it could mimic a heart attack like that? The thing that gave it away was that all dad’s heart tests came back clear, however, when they went to release him he had uncontrolled chills and a 102 fever. They transferred him from the cardiac ward to the general hospital and ran more tests. That’s when they found the gallstones.

But, taking care of the stones was not as easy as it might have been. Dad was on blood thinners for his heart and had to be off of them for two weeks prior to surgery. So, he was sent home to wait, and wait and wait.

The back porch nagged at him. It was framed in, and the solid portion of the roof had been built, but the lath was still in the bundles, it was still raw, unpainted wood and the screen was just an gleam in our eyes.

Iain, the head of the mailroom at work, said he understood how dad felt. His father-in-law was constantly nagged by unfinished projects he didn’t have the energy for any longer. He offered to put together a work team to finish up the porch. I thankfully accepted.

Iain got ten people to help. They had it finished and painted by 4:00 that afternoon. I promised to feed them, but had to take a break to rush dad to the hospital yet again. He woke with a nosebleed and just couldn’t get it stopped. By 11:30 a.m. if seemed like it was best to let a professional take care of it. I left Iain in charge of the work party and Kathleen in charge of getting lunch ready. I had promised everyone BBQ ribs, salad and baked potatoes.

I got dad in to the urgent care part of the hospital, made sure he was stable, and left him my cell phone to call me when he was ready to come home. After all, I had ten hungry people at home (across the street), working for free, that needed to be fed.

Dad made it home in time for leftovers – nose plug in place.

The porch looks fabulous. It is a ‘Theresa - magnet.’ I come home now and immediately fix dinner and it’s out to the porch to eat it and sit in the rocker. Dad is much more relaxed and happy that there is only the middle double door to finish.

I can’t thank Iain enough. He really came through. I owe him one, or even two, or maybe three.

No comments:

Post a Comment