Wednesday, December 21, 2011

Between2 - A good time was had by all

This past weekend found dad and me deep in the throws of Christmas celebration.

Friday night we had the neighbors over and got to meet her new intended. He seems like a really nice man and I wish them the best. We had a delicious dessert even though it was sugar free to accommodate my diet. Can’t beat razzleberry pie from Shari’s.

Saturday was the department party at our house. We had a record turnout – only two people didn’t show. There was food galore and stories to match. We had a white elephant exchange. My Jews harp generated several trades. The two pounds of chocolate that I chose was quickly taken out of my hands by one of the students. I ended up acquiring a clock/weather station for dad that one of the students brought. He won it at a lan party and didn’t want it. Dad had been hinting for one from Cabela’s. Lucky daddy.

During the party dad took a short break and went to a function at church – a widower’s and widow’s dessert. He said he met some nice ladies. I hope he continues to get out and mix it up.

At 6:00 pm I kicked the last two students out so I could get ready for another dessert date at 7:00.

You might think we pack a lot into a day, but dad and I both enjoy visiting with our friends in twos and threes rather than having a big party. During a large party I always find myself stuck in the kitchen and then have guilt trips about having inadvertently ignored someone I should have spent time with. Dad had real trouble hearing people and keeping track of a conversation in a large group. When we have tea, lunch or dessert with each person we have a good rewarding visit. It does make for a full schedule though.

On Sunday I went down to the Heathman for tea with another friend. It was way too expensive, but the atmosphere was nice and the food was good. I guess once a year a person can splurge. It was a non-stop gabfest for two hours. Good thing the hotel had another seating after ours or we would probably still be there.

I was home for just about an hour and the next company showed up for dessert. Good thing I hit the sugar free bakery on Saturday morning. Dad and I had a really nice visit with Cindy. I gave her all the scarves I ran across while sorting through mom’s things. Cindy is about the only person I know who never goes anywhere without wearing a scarf. She appreciated that I passed them on to her.

So now we are settled into the last week of school before the Christmas break. The shop is full of bookstore packets and syllabi up to our eyeballs.

I am going to treat the students to pizza on Thursday for Christmas. I wrote a special note in a card for each of them to tell them how much I appreciate them and their help.

Dad and I are counting down the days until Dale arrives – just three now. I spoke with him this morning when dad was preaching doom and gloom for the weather in Kansas. Dale said the weather was fine where he was and the prediction was sun for his travel day – Saturday. I have my fingers crossed that the weatherman is right for a change and he arrives on time.

No comments:

Post a Comment